Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pottery Barn Lamp re-Post!

Spring is right around the corner and what a better way to welcome it, then with a blooming lamp?

I have a lamp in my daughter's room, that is cute...but lately it has really been boring me. I have been looking around for a new shade, but really do not want to spend any money...

Well, today I was looking in the Pottery Barn Kids magazine, day dreaming about what it would actually be like to order something from it, when I came across this picture of a beautiful lamp... I mean it was only $99.00, plus shipping, plus the base. So once I calculated how many months of my monthly budget it would take to save up for that beautiful lamp, I realized that I could totally make one like that with my daughters old lamp.

I thought about buying some silk flowers to hot glue on the shade, which would be very pretty, but still to get that many flowers would still be more than I wanted to pay. So I walked around the house trying to come up with another alternative. And then I say a roll of crepe paper that I had use for my daughter's birthday party last year. It was the right color and I had almost an entire roll. Then I remembered seeing around blogland those super adorable crepe paper roses...

And it was on...

I started whipping out those roses like there was no tomorrow. If you have not seen them they are very simple to make. First I cut a bunch of 12 inch strips. Next you roll the end about 3-4 times and then fold paper in half. With your left hand grab fold and start wrapping and twisting your strip. Twist wrap, twist wrap until you are at the end. Then I just added a dot of hot glue and you have a rose. You will start to have a bucket full like this.

This is by far the longest part. It took me about an hour to get all of the roses made. Once you have a pretty good pile, I started hot gluing them in a line around the shade like this...


Once you fill the whole shade you have a whimsical and very girly lamp that any little girl would love to have...Enjoy!!


11 comments:

Joyce said...

oh Laura, that is gorgeous! Can not wait to try that in my girls rooms! Thanks for the inspiration

Coffee@3 said...

So adorable! My daughter would love this...thanks for the great idea! Michele

Ellie said...

This is one of my favorite lamps! I love your remake! I've awarded you the Stylish Blogger award. Check here if you want to accept:

http://homestitched.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger.html

Cookie said...

Wow this is so CUTE!! Your very creative!! Saw this over at the Lettered Cottage!

Throw Open the Windows said...

SO Cute!!! I need a lamp for my little girl room and love the girly-ness of this one. Visiting from How To's Day. Rebecca

Alaina said...

I love your blog!!! We are playing a game and I have awarded 15 of my favorite blogs (you're one, obviously) a "Versitile Blogger" award! Come by to play! :)

http://lanis-hammertime.blogspot.com/

Love the lamp!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love these crepe paper flowers, never ever would have thought to use them like this!!! Love it!!!

The Adventures of Ordy and Joon said...

SO cute! I want a big girl's version for my office! (White = big girl) haha! Great job! I did those paper crepe roses and it took FOREVER... I quit halfway :( so there's another unfinished project in my room... oh well! Love your blog it's adorable!

Erin said...

What a beautiful lamp! I love it!

Ashley said...

That is so cute! I love how thrifty it is too!

Ashley
www.TheThriftyWife.com

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, I think that I might propose to your lamp. :o) Gorg!! I can't wait to make this project! (Just found you from over at The Lettered Cottage)